Unmanned Aerial Systems
Kennesaw State University prides itself on embracing exciting new technologies and innovating ideas. Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) are no exception, however as public safety will always remain KSU's priority, a policy has been written in order to manage the balance between fun and public well-being.KSU UAS Application Form
Procedures for Requesting Permission to Fly a UAS at KSU
- UAS, including model/hobbyist systems, must be registered with the FAA
- All UAS, other than model/hobbyist systems, must be approved by FAA before requesting permission from KSU. Note: Due to KSU’s proximity to Dobbins Air Reserve Base (Marietta Campus) and Cobb International Airport (Kennesaw Campus) expect the FAA Certificate of Authorization (COA) process to take at least 90 days.
- KSU’s Unmanned Aerial Systems and Other Aircraft Application Form must be completed and emailed to email@example.com; please allow three business days for processing.
- Systems permitted to fly at KSU will be provided with a KSU UAS Permission to Fly Certificate that displays what is accepted, restrictions and other specific guidelines.
Please direct any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
General UAS Guidelines
The following should be used as a guideline in regards to all unmanned aerial systems use on and around Kennesaw State University property:
- All unmanned aerial systems weighing more than a 1/2 pound must be approved to fly on any KSU property
- KSU policy is not intended to limit or restrict academic competitive programs nor the designing and/or working with UAS and/or other aircraft at KSU
- Public safety is a priority at KSU
- Adhering to FAA regulations is NOT optional
- KSU's poximity to the Cobb International Airport and Dobbins Air Reserve Base makes the approval process especially challenging
Frequently Asked QuestionsFor frequently asked questions, please see this UAS FAQ.
- (470) 578-6986
Dobbins Air Reserve Base Air Traffic Management:
- (678) 655-5197
Cobb International Airport Control Tower:
- (770) 428-1034
- FAA Unmanned Aerial Systems: https://www.faa.gov/uas/
- FAA Certificate of Waiver or Authorization:
- Model Aircraft Systems: https://www.faa.gov/uas/model_aircraft/
- FAA UAS Registration: https://www.faa.gov/uas/registration/
- McCollum Airport - Cobb County Airport - McCollum Field:
- KSU Department of Public Safety and Police: http://police.kennesaw.edu
- KSU Office of Emergency Management: http://oem.kennesaw.edu
- Cobb County Radio Control Modeler's Club: http://www.ccrc.info/